Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Rain, Rain, Rain = Counting, Counting, Counting


We woke up to overcast skies this morning which soon turned to cold (-2 degrees Celsius) rain. Fortunately we had planned to spend the day counting our first samples of the trip and so enjoyed the use of our brand new, right out of the box...well tupperware, microscopes.

You may notice the excessive layers of clothing in this INDOOR picture. I think its safe to say that today was one of the coldest thus far, despite being inside, and we made good use of our toques and long underwear. We did manage to get a bit of exercise today, in the form of a brief skipping break out front of the centre. Skipping for 5 straight minutes is actually more of a workout than you might expect, especially while on the lookout for bears (Weekend Warriors- how's that for some training?), next goal is 6 minutes. No bear sightings yet, I imagine they do not enjoy the rain much either.

We took our zooplankton identification to a slightly higher level today; we are now fairly well versed in the identification of copepod nauplii (no longer is our skill set restricted to adults)! Can you guess which type of copepod nauplius the picture below is? Here are some multiple choice answers: a) Cyclopoid b) Calanoid c) Harpacticoid

(Sorry for the picture quality).

It looks like some more rain in the forecast for tomorrow but that can change in an instant. It's like mountain weather..err minus the mountains. Anyways we plan to hit the bluff again tomorrow.

Until then, enjoy this dialogue that I noticed on one of the message boards in the centre today:

Overheard on the train from Winnipeg to Churchill after a particularly slow section-

Passenger: Is it ok if I get off and pick flowers?

Trainman: Sure, but I don't think you'll find many flowers around here.

Passenger: That's ok, I've got a pack of seeds.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for passing this on Ingrid!

    Neat idea for a blog, girls! I'll definitely be following along.

    I have no idea what the answer is to the multiple choice question, but I LOVE the plant joke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason, I was logged in as Lies in the above comment, so I have removed it, because it is only fun when I identify myself correctly...


    This is what I initially wrote (or something to that nature): I have a sneeking suspicion that this whole blog is just a ruse to convince me that you are actually working hard up there. I have a hard time believing that on day 3 you spent your time counting zp in subzero temperatures ;-)

    By the way, how are the scopes? No problem assembling them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chuckle.chuckle.

    Ingrid, I don't think you work at all. I think you go just so that you can hunt polar bears.

    Also, FIVE MINUTES?? try ONE. Ugh.... how DOES anyone do that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karl, you underestimate us..it sounds as though you think we simply took the microscopes out of the box, duct taped them together and pretended to count for the benefit up this picture. But no, we really did assemble them, except for a few random extra pieces, but those probably aren't important right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm...few extra pieces...? This may be why i was mistaking collembolas for bunnies...you know, the aquatic larval stage of bunnies......?

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) i'm enjoying your blog ingrid!

    ReplyDelete